Items Needing
Your Attention


At Jones Funeral Service, we pride ourselves in helping families obtain benefits to which they may be entitled. Whether contacting life insurance companies, financial institutions, government agencies or employers, we are willing and able to help. We make initial contact, complete necessary forms and follow up to make certain you receive what you deserve.


The following items may need your attention upon your loved one's death:



File the ORIGINAL will with the Register in Probate in the county of residence of the deceased. If he or she lived in Oconto County, it is located on the first floor of the Courthouse. The will must be filed within 30 days of the date of death. Be sure to keep a COPY of the will for yourself.

Register in Probate: Oconto County Courthouse
301 Washington Street
Oconto, WI  54153
Phone: (920) 834-6839


Life Insurance Policies

Call your insurance representative or funeral home for help filing insurance claims. Also, check / change the beneficiary on existing policies, pensions or profit sharing plans -- you do NOT want a decedent named beneficiary.


Social Security

We will notify the Social Security Office for you and provide them with needed verification, such as date of death. They may contact you by phone or mail for additional information if you are to receive benefits.

Benefits are only paid when there is a surviving spouse and/or dependant children. Only the surviving spouse receives a special one-time benefit of $255, provided the deceased is considered an insured worker.

Social Security Office
2023 Lake Park Road
Marinette, WI  54143
Phone: (888) 329-5722



Contact the Veterans Service Office to receive a free government headstone (if desired) and possible monetary benefits. The funeral home arranges a flag for veterans and National Guard, and also arrange military honors.

Veterans Service Office at Oconto County Courthouse
301 Washington Street
Oconto, WI  54153
Phone: (920) 834-6817


If all property and financial assets are jointly owned, the following items may need your attention:


Transfer of House

Complete Form HT-110 TERMINATION OF DECEDENT'S PROPERTY INTEREST. Call to have it mailed to you or pick up in-person at the:

Register of Deeds Office (Oconto County Courthouse, first floor of original Courthouse)
Oconto, WI 54153
phone: (920) 834-7113
with the following:

  • Last year's property tax statement
  • Deed for the house/property
  • Certified copy of the death certificate
  • Check for $30, payable to: Register of Deeds


Transfer of Vechicle

To transfer vehicle titles to your name, go in-person to DMV and bring:

  • Latest title(s)
  • Actual Mileage
  • License Plate Number(s)
  • Check for $67, payable to: Registration Fee Trust ($62 + $5 fee)

Department of Motor Vehicles
942 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI  54304
Phone: (800) 924-3570


Financial Institutions

Take a certified copy of the death certificate to each financial institution to change accounts over to your name.


Final Thoughts

Keep copies of certified death and marriage certificates along when dealing with these matters. You may also need to contact the decedent's employers for possible benefits and your employer to change the beneficiary on your benefits. You may also contact credit card companies and [property and auto] insurance agents to make them aware of what has happened, especially if the cause of death is related to accidental means.